When Your Future Is On The Line, Turn To Us

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Criminal Defense
  4.  » 
  5. Probation and Parole Violations
  6.  » The potential for additional penalties in a probation violation

The potential for additional penalties in a probation violation

by | Nov 4, 2016 | Probation and Parole Violations

There are millions of Americans who are currently under court supervision through a probation department due to a criminal conviction. Probation supervision allows those who have been convicted of a crime to, in essence, serve the sentence for that crime while remaining in the community. Criminal justice policy makers have recognized that not all people who are convicted for a crime need to serve time in prison.

However, probation supervision can be difficult for some State College people. In most cases, there are a variety of terms of probation that need to be followed. Almost everyone will be required to maintain full-time employment. Some will be required to attend substance abuse treatment or anger management classes. Others will be required to pursue a GED or pay child support as ordered. The terms of probation in any given case can vary quite a bit, depending on the person and the crime at issue.

So, what happens if a Pennsylvania resident does not comply with the terms of their probation supervision? Well, that could lead to the person’s probation officer notifying the court of a probation violation. When that happens, the probationer will likely be required to appear in court to answer to the allegations of the violation.

When the court hearing occurs, the court will make a determination as to whether or not the terms of probation have been violated. If the court finds that a violation has occurred, the probationer’s suspended sentence could be revoked, and the court could order the probationer to instead serve that time in some form of incarceration. This is why it is essential to be familiar with the terms of the probation and to take an aggressive defense in case of a potential probation violation. An experienced attorney may be able to help State College residents protect their rights.

Source: FindLaw, “Probation Violation,” Accessed Oct. 30, 2016